Are you of the mindset that if you have grey hair or when you start going grey it is best to cover it up with blonde highlights or solid blonde colour? If so, you are not alone. I hear this all the time in the hair salon. As an Image Consultant and Hairstylist who specializes in colour, I can say that not everyone should colour their grey hair blonde.
There are several key reasons for wanting to colour grey hair:
1. To look younger and more vibrant.
2. To look more modern.
3. Wanting a new look.
4. Because status quo may appear to dictate colour over grey.
5. Colouring hair blonde because grey seems close to blonde and therefore resulting in fewer trips to the salon.
What is actually surprising is that colouring grey hair blonde can actually cause the reverse of the 5 items above. You could make yourself look older, dull and magnify skin imperfections such as wrinkles. OH MY GOD!
Since your hair frames your face, if your colouring is not suited to blonde hair you will experience a magnification of all of the things you wanted to avoid.
If you colour your hair blonde to cover your greys, OR, are considering putting blonde in your hair to cover greys, I HIGHLY urge you to visit a colour analysis professional to confirm if the blonde colour will help you to achieve your main reasons for going blonde in the first place.
Here are some thoughts to consider if you believe that covering up grey hair with blonde will mean less cost and fewer trips to the stylist:
• Is saving time and money worth it if you will likely look older and more dull?
• Blonde highlights cost more than solid colour applications (sometimes double the cost).
• Hair typically grows at the same speed no matter what colour it is (i.e. root touch-ups are required no matter what colour is in your hair).
• There are colour sticks that can be purchased to hide grey areas at the roots between visits to your hairstylist.
What are your reasons for wanting to cover up grey hair with blonde? Putting blonde in your hair may actually work against your reasons. Before you make another colour appointment with your hairstylist, I encourage you to find out if blonde is right for YOU.
I hope this article inspires you to wear your authenticity!